Staff Software Engineer - Customer Identity & Access Management (CIAM)
Do the best work of your career building all new products that will make a difference for businesses.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based in San Jose, CA. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
BILL is seeking a dynamic and experienced Staff Software Engineer to join our Platform Engineering team. As the lead engineer, you will play a crucial role in rapidly scaling our flagship product and platform in AWS.
Our ideal candidate is passionate about building innovative products, driven to solve real customer problems, and thrives on solving for high-scale performance challenges. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work on challenging problems daily and build and scale our identity platform for millions of users.
As a key engineer on the Platform Identity team, you will be responsible for consolidating identity and profile data while defining role-based access through seamless access control mechanisms. Your work will support our core web and mobile offerings and serve as the foundation for our partners and third-party developer ecosystem.
If you're excited about taking on this challenge and working with a team of talented engineers, we encourage you to apply.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related area or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of experience developing customer facing systems/software for large business environments platforms on Java/J2EE and messaging systems (Kafka, SQS, RabbitMQ)
- 4+ years of experience in implementing Customer Identity and Access Management (CIAM) systems, with expertise in supporting Federated Identity using SAML and OpenID Connect, along with OAuth 2 based authorization protocols
- Experience with identity management consolidation and re-platforming
- Experience building, deploying, securing and operating applications and microservices in AWS
- Good understanding of Identity fraud prevention, including MFA, step-up authentication and biometric security
- Experience in a high-velocity, high-scale SaaS environment, with monthly major releases and weekly minor releases. Experience with CI/CD environments is a plus.
- Experience with CIAM in fintech industry is desirable
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more!
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants