Senior Software Engineer (Backend) - Distribution
Being a Champion for SMBs is good for business. And a career defining opportunity for you
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based at Draper. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
BILL is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Distribution team. This team is focused on building and enhancing the integrations between third party accounting systems (Quickbooks, Netsuite, etc.) and our Divvy product line. This particular role will also focus on integrating and consolidating these APIs with those that connect our Accounts Payable product line with third party accounting systems. As a senior engineer, this individual will be leaned on to lead a lot of the projects and initiatives going on in this space, and play a pivotal role in expanding the capabilities of these party integrations moving forward.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- 5+ years of development experience, primarily as a Backend Engineer
- Experience working on large scale, complex applications using Java, AWS and modern JS frameworks (Angular, React, etc.)
- Experience working with REST API development
- Familiarity with databases (ElasticSearch, MySQL, Oracle or any Cloud DB)
- Excellent teamwork and communication
- Ability to gain alignment across cross-functional boundaries
- Ability to challenge the norm and develop microservices from a monolith
- Passion for great products and building great experiences, proven ability to take the product through all stages of development from concept to launch at scale
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related field
Nice to Have:
- Expertise with using AWS services to build microservices
- Experience with Elixir programming language
- Familiar with frontend development with React and Angular
- Experience with dev tools like Splunk, Datadog, Mixpanel, LaunchDarkly etc.
- Accounting domain knowledge (knows the basics of double-entry accounting, General Ledger, AP/AR)
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants
Something looks off?