Senior Product Counsel (Director Level)
Do the best work of your career, helping businesses change the way they manage finances.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
We are looking for an exceptional, highly motivated team player with 8+ years of combined legal experience to partner with and advise Bill.com’s product team. As Bill.com’s Product Counsel, you will work closely with our product, technology and business operations teams to deliver innovative and customer-focused products and services for our AI-enabled, financial software platform while managing legal and privacy risks, ensuring regulatory compliance, and enabling scalable growth for the company. In this role, you will join the fast growing Product Regulatory team.
What you will do
- Partner with product teams to understand product, engineering, design, and operational implications of new products, particularly payments and SaaS related products
- Review new products, from early stages of development through launch, to assess legal compliance and provide practical legal and compliance risk mitigation strategies
- Guide product and operations teams on navigating payments, card and money services business regulations, data protection and privacy laws, consumer protection laws, etc.
- Coordinate and collaborate on cross-functional teams to ensure consistent implementation of legal guidance and alignment on risk
- Draft clear and concise terms of service, privacy notices, legal disclosures and disclaimers, product policies, and disclosures, and implement related processes
- Sound and practical business judgment, intellectual curiosity, comfortable and adept at balancing risk and opportunity
- Stay up-to-date and keep stakeholders advised on laws, regulations and trends relevant to technology, financial services and payments, money services businesses, data protection and privacy, advertising and marketing, and consumer protection
We’d love to chat if you have:
- 8+ years of combined experience in law firms, governmental agencies, and/or in-house legal departments with at least 2 years of those years focused on either payments law, the FinTech space, or financial services regulatory analysis
- Experience counseling on product development through the entire product lifecycle, and/or experience working closely with product management teams, marketing and engineering
- Familiarity with, and strong interest in, Bill.com, mobile and alternative payments, emerging payments technology and the payments industry
- Excellent communication skills and a team-oriented approach with the ability to build strong and lasting relationships with business partners, customers and management
- Intellectual curiosity, a desire to have a big impact and alignment with our core values: Humble, Fun, Authentic, Passionate, and Dedicated
- Creative thinker with strong problem solving skills and the ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, with effective resolution of conflicting priorities
- Comfortable with gray areas and interpreting and applying the law in unsettled contexts in a fast paced environment
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent degree
- Admitted to, and in good standing with, a state bar
- Intellectual curiosity
- Legal and regulatory knowledge related to Bill.com’s business
- Product counseling experience
- Drive for results - impact/outcome focused
- Ownership mindset - see projects through from end to end
- Thought leadership with informed risk taking
- Empowered, autonomous decision making for faster results
- Influence with stakeholders
- Passionate about our product
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this Remote - California based role is noted below. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants
Something looks off?