Senior Backend Engineer
Join us to advance data science and machine learning.
Comet is accelerating the machine learning development process for data science and ML teams. From the individual data scientist tracking training runs to the enterprise team moving hundreds of models into production, Comet is the platform used by some of the most innovative builders in the industry. We started Comet to make it possible for teams to manage and optimize models across the complete ML lifecycle and achieve business value faster.
You’re welcome here
Working in Comet’s fast, dynamic startup environment is challenging and fun. We are looking for people who are customer-focused, work collaboratively, and want to be a voice in advancing Comet’s leadership in the marketplace. If you are excited about empowering technology innovators around the globe in creating world-changing machine learning models, Comet is the right place for you.
Comet is backed by more than $63 million in venture-capital funding, and we are the MLOps platform of choice for teams at Ancestry, The RealReal, Uber, WorkFusion, and Zappos. We are a remote-first company with offices in New York City (U.S.A.) and Tel-Aviv (Israel). And we’re just getting started. CRN featured Comet as one of the 10 hottest machine learning and data science startups in 2021.
Comet is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, genetic information/characteristics, and any other characteristic protected by State or Federal law.
Comet provides a self-hosted and cloud-based meta machine learning platform allowing data scientists and teams to track, compare, explain and optimize experiments and models. Backed by thousands of users and multiple Fortune 100 companies, Comet provides insights and data to build better, more accurate AI models while improving productivity, collaboration and visibility across teams
A team player with at least 8 years of experience. You’re proactive, never taking the present state for granted and always striving to understand why things are done the way they are. You’re a clean coder with readable, simple, and maintainable code. You continuously search for better solutions.
You’re experienced with software engineering best practices (testing, code reviews, etc) Deeply familiar with the tools, libraries (including open source), and frameworks that you’ve worked with and feel at home in a SAAS production environment. You’re also familiar with software engineering best practices (agile programming utilizing Scrum, code reviews, pair-programming, etc.).
The technologies that you should be familiar with, are not limited but you should at least be familiar with the following :
AWS Cloud, Java8+, MYSQL, Cassandra, Redis, Amazon S3
These are the skills that are must have
- Proficiency in Java, with a good understanding of its ecosystems
- Working experience is a SAAS production environment that utilizes CI/CD
- Working experience with monitoring tools such as new-relic, datadog or Grafana
- Great knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) Patterns and Concepts
- Skill for writing reusable Java libraries
- Can understand and write multi-threaded code
- Basic Understanding of the concepts of MVC (Model-View-Controller) Pattern, JDBC (Java Database Connectivity), and RESTful web services
- Docker and K8S
- Queuing System such as Kafka/RabbitMQ/SQS/Redis.
- Quick learner, self-starter, being able to operate with little to no guidance.
- Good communication skills and being productive in a fast-paced development environment.
Bonus points if you
- Have a good understanding of AI and ML
- Have an understanding of reactive patterns and toolkits.
- Have contributed to open-source software.
- Have an excellent understanding of database systems, relational and otherwise, including sharding for big data applications.
- Are able to conduct performance analysis for a system and find its bottlenecks.
- Have been a “go-to” person in your previous teams/organizations.
- Have a get-things-done approach.
As a Backend Engineer, you will
- Push your code to thousands of data scientists every day.
- Write tests (unit tests, integration end to end tests)
- Monitor your code after it was deployed to production
- Work on cutting-edge technologies and become an industry leader.
- Tackle tough problems and find creative ways to solve them.
- Solve challenging problems in a simple way.
- Work on new features in a fast-growing development environment