Who We Are:
Dusty Robotics develops robot-powered tools for the modern construction workforce.
While today's buildings are built predominantly with manual labor, Dusty envisions a future in which skilled labor makes use of robotic automation to make the work safer, more efficient, and more precise! We want to create a future where construction workers don't need to retire early because their bodies give out. In Dusty's future, the buildings we live and work in are built by teams of creative and problem-solving construction crews who direct robots to do the dull/dirty/dangerous work.
What We're Building:
Dusty bridges the gap between the digital world of building design with the skilled labor operating in the field, accelerating the digital transformation of the construction industry. The centerpiece of our strategy is the FieldPrinter: a mobile printer-on-wheels that prints building floorplans full-size on the concrete floor of a construction site. When errors in layout can cause multi-million-dollar mistakes, our product ensures that all field crews are building off of a single source of truth derived from the digital model.
What You'll Do:
We are looking for a strong and highly motivated Robotics Technician to bring our robots to life. Must be self-directed, able to work with minimal documentation, have keen attention to detail, and be clear communicator. Although this technician job is primarily mechanical, experience with electrical assembly and debugging is beneficial. Previous experience partnering closely with engineers is key as this role will engage with manufacturing and design engineers across the company. In this role, the employee will be working closely with internal colleagues in Engineering and Field operations.
- Work closely with engineers in a manufacturing environment to perform assembly tasks in accordance with documented manufacturing processes and procedures. Items include electro-mechanical prototypes, production assemblies, and manufacturing test fixtures
- Follow, modify, and create manufacturing/assembly process instructions, Documentation of routine manufacturing processes
- Monitor any variables within the process and make adjustments when required
- Problem solve new designs and manufacturing procedures. Work with design and manufacturing engineers to propose and implement changes
- Perform verification and in-process testing of electro-mechanical assemblies according to established protocols. Reporting of data to senior colleagues
- Perform functions associated with all manufacturing operations, including set-up and calibration tasks, rework and quality testing related to the production sub-assemblies and final assemblies
- Routine operation of equipment including inspection, cleaning, and maintenance in accordance with operational instructions
- Quick and effective diagnosis of routine problems
- Have confidence and abilities to troubleshoot problems
- Assist in setup of internal SOPs. Follow health and safety procedures and protocols
- Awareness of when to involve senior staff in more complex problems
Who You Are:
- Associate degree or equivalent work experience. 5+ years of technician work with mechanical assemblies
- Experience in robotics, mechatronics, or electro-mechanical assemblies is required
- Ability to work to production schedules with minimal supervision and flag issues in-time
- Able to use a computer to run test programs and record data as per given instructions
- Ability to conduct electrical assembly, such as cable harnesses construction, wire cutting, stripping, crimping and soldering Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills
- Ability to run laser cutters, 3D printers, or milling machines is a plus
- Good familiarity with shop tools such as hand tools and power tools including drills and torque wrenches
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with engineers
Knowledge & Skills:
- Attention to detail
- Alert – must be able to quickly identify when the manufacturing process is deviating from the norm
- Calm under pressure – must be able to confidently address problems if they arise, take appropriate action and involve others when needed
- Numerical skills – there can be formulas to follow and numerical factors to consider when following protocols and procedures
- Good communication skills – written skills are important to ensure clear documentation and verbal and listening skills are important to ensure efficient transfer of information between staff members
- Good computer skills – much of the documentation of manufacturing is done via computer systems
- CAD/CAM – ability to use or learn CAD (Computer-Aided Design)
- Engineering Documentation – able to read and follow blueprints and other types of engineering documentation
- Measurement – ability in mathematics and measurement
- Lean Manufacturing Skills – must be able to identify and eliminate waste within the system
- Basic QA and QC Skills – such as ISO 9000, Six Sigma, Statistical Process Control, etc. at basic level is a plus
Why You Should Join:
In joining our team, you’ll become an important part of a small and fast-growing company. We are daring to accomplish something big, do you want to be a critical part of Dusty's success? We are deeply committed to our mission, and we believe in removing roadblocks that distract us from reaching our goals.
To that end, we offer an unlimited vacation policy, a 401k with employer match, reasonable work hours, and flexible schedules. We know that our best work happens when we feel well-rested and capable of focusing all of our energy on making Dusty successful!
Strong, effective teams are composed of people with a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences who bring a variety of perspectives to their work. We actively encourage applications from a diverse pool, including those from historically under-represented groups such as women, people of color, people who identify LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and immigrants.
Our Code of Conduct:
Dusty Robotics exists to serve a wide variety of customers from all walks of life. We believe that our mission is best served in an environment that is friendly, safe, accepting, and free of intimidation or harassment. We do not tolerate abusive behavior.
Where You'll Work:
Dusty’s offices are located in Mountain View, CA. You will be primarily working from our office in this role to facilitate rapid coordination with executive leadership and business teams. You can also expect to travel a small amount to customer locations around the US.