SOC Security Specialist
You’ve caught the security bug. Maybe it was the 18th breach-related credit-monitoring notification that started you down a research rabbit hole. Maybe you like the competitive nature of going against the world's best attackers. Maybe you like computers and protecting people and just realized there is a job that checks both of those boxes. One thing is for certain; you are set on becoming a cyber security analyst. You’ve read the blogs, watched tutorials, downloaded Wireshark and collected some network traffic, maybe even gotten a cert. Now it's time to join the fight!
90+% of data breaches begin with phishing, and our growing Managed Phishing service sets out to keep our customers secure. If you want to help grow this team, and break into security analysis, we’d love to speak with you! A Junior Security Operations Center Analyst position at Expel may be just what you’re looking for. Not only will you help our customers stay safe, you’ll learn how to think like an attacker, respond to real attacks, and be encouraged to innovate and solve problems. Surrounded by seasoned analysts, you’ll have no shortage of mentors eager to help you master the art.
What Expel Can Do For You
- Get you out of the lab and into real networks with real evil
- Give you an opportunity to learn from seasoned security analysts and incident responders every single day
- Immerse you in a collaborative, encouraging, growth-minded culture
- Challenge you to push the bounds of our security vision, preparing you for future roles in Managed Detection & Response (MDR)
What You Can Do For Expel (With the help of training, of course)
- Apply your real passion for information security at protecting our customers
- Participate in our 24x7 shift rotation: bad actors remain active throughout nights, weekends, and holidays so we’re always watching.
- Be perpetually dissatisfied with the state of affairs, then help us get better
- Help us meaningfully impact the security of our customers' organizations
- Once we bring you up to speed, constantly experiment to find new ways of catching bad actors
What You Should Bring With You
- Flexibility and an openness to new challenges because, hey, startup life
- Client comes first mindset - you aim to answer questions and process customer requests quickly and to a high standard
- An inquisitive mind and a noble spirit
- A keen sense of humor
- A fundamental understanding of phishing, TCP/IP, and core application layer protocols
- Basic understanding of Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems and command line tools
- Awareness of cloud applications (O365, Okta, etc) and cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Familiarity with the attack lifecycle (or kill chain, if you prefer)
- Knowledge of attack vectors, threat tactics, and attacker techniques.
- Excellent analytical and prioritization skills- you can navigate competing priorities, spot the details most people don’t and ask for help when you need it
- Clear and concise written communications-you know how to change your tone for the audience and can seamlessly switch between slacking a team member, a customer, or writing a report
- A bachelor's degree in a technical field or a compelling story
Compensation for this role is $60,000 USD + equity.
We believe in paying transparently and equitably. Your salary will ultimately be based on factors such as your experience, skills, team equity, and market data. You’ll also be eligible for unlimited PTO (which we model and encourage), work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and really excellent health benefits.
Our headquarters is in Herndon, Virginia. However, we realize that while there is a benefit to in-person interaction, good people don’t all live in Northern Virginia. Remote work is an option for this role.
We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We're an Equal Opportunity Employer: You'll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.