Senior Detection & Response Engineer (Cloud)
All right, close your eyes. Good. Now, I want you to picture the following person. This person has a real passion for detection. This person eats their Wheaties, with a side of freshly toasted attacker dreams of living off the land or sky (ahem, cloud). As a defender, they think it’s cute that the attacker has the impression they can get by a layered defense by not dropping any binaries and just using PowerShell, WMI, VBScript or the new hotness … and get away with it.
Please keep your eyes closed, we aren’t done visualizing. Next imagine this person is fascinated by engineering field. This person wishes unit tests for detections were as simple as importing pytest. They have a deep appreciation for what a great engineer can do with a hard problem. But they’re also someone who loves to tackle hard engineering problems themselves, usually at the intersection of detection and response automation to make their lives, and their co-workers lives, a little easier.
Finally, this person we’ve been picturing thrives by working with others. They might eat breakfast and destroy the dreams of attackers, but they genuinely love working together on a problem. They are someone who has worked on a team to investigate and respond to alerts generated by a variety of signals. They know that true scale comes from enabling others.
Now open your eyes. First, I hope your eyes were open and you’re not someone who just blindly does what they’re told. Besides, how else could you have caught all the significant bits? Did you end up picturing yourself?
At Expel, we 're taking a new approach to managed security. We spend our time trying to discover ways to keep our customers safe and our security analysts happy. We’re trying to meet our customers where they are—understanding a vast number of attacker tactics, security vendor capabilities, and customer requirements. We believe innovating while handling the combinatorial explosion represents a captivating problem. If you agree, we may have the job for you!
What Expel can do for you
- Place you into the middle of a fast-growing cybersecurity company with the most enthusiastic customers you’ve ever seen—a welcome surprise in the MSSP/MDR market.
- Give you an opportunity to collaboratively drive a significant security capability of the business
- Enable you to learn from analysts, data scientists, engineers, and responders responsible for various components of Expel’s service and technology
- Facilitate ways to harness event signal from cloud service providers
- Provide an entertaining small and highly transparent startup environment
- Challenge you to push the boundaries of our security vision
- Provide access to popular Cloud, network, and SIEM technologies
What you can do for Expel
- Ensure our customers get maximum value from their security investments
- Help ensure our analysts keep learning and doing more sophisticated security work
- Continuously improve our detection capability by crafting and iterating on new detection ideas
- Continuously reevaluate, redefine, extend, and refactor data sources and workflows as needed
- Instill a culture of experimentation and continuous improvement within the analyst corps
What you should bring with you
- Strong understanding of Windows, macOS and Linux operating systems and command line tools.
- Knowledge of networking basics, such as TCP/IP and OSI model.
- Experienced knowledge and observations of attack vectors, threat tactics, and attacker techniques.
- Advanced knowledge of cloud infrastructure platforms and their Identity and Access Management (IAM) models.
- Solid understanding of Kubernetes
- Cursory understanding of common Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications and available security signal
- 3+ years of experience writing, deploying and tuning custom detections based on research or investigative work against common data sets (Windows Event Logs, auditd, CloudTrail, and similar datasets.)
- 3+ years of experience working with cloud technologies like AWS, GCP, or Microsoft Azure.
- Intermediate proficiency with Python, Go or other object oriented programming
- Solid understanding of CSPM solutions like Wiz, Orca, Lacework, etc.
This role will be based out of our offices in Herndon, Virginia. We will consider remote work for this position.
Pay range: $134,700 USD to $195,300 USD + bonus eligibility and equity.
We believe in paying transparently and equitably. Your salary will ultimately be based on factors such as your experience, skills, team equity, and market data. You’ll also be eligible for unlimited PTO (which we model and encourage), work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and really excellent health benefits.
We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer: You’ll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.