Senior Software Engineer, API's
About the role:
Forter is looking for a Senior Software Engineer with broad experience and passion for building scalable and resilient systems. Reliability, latency and security, along with being present where our customers need us, are critical to our success. Every single request we receive and process is crucial to us and our customers. We can’t go down because our customers’ businesses depend on us. We process e-commerce transactions worth over $250B a year, and make billions of critical decisions.
The API team provides Forter and merchant's developers with a compliant and secure infrastructure for API management, providing reliability and availability.
Why should you join us?
We utilize highly sensitive information our customers trust us with, to catch fraudsters and abusers and let consumers operate without any friction.
We are currently designing and creating the next generation of infrastructure for our APIs, rethinking many elements in our API design, structure and version management.
As a member of the API team you will take part in reenvisioning our API management platform, analyzing and optimizing our orchestration layer to deal with our huge scale. We are building Forter’s API management platform to be secure, uniform and highly available for our customers and development teams. You’ll be working with talented and sharp people who care about their craft and product, building together a beautiful system.
What you'll be doing:
- Help to create new and innovative tools that our high-profile customers and their developers (and ours) will love using
- Holding yourself and others to a high standard when working with production systems. We take pride in our tests, monitoring & alerting abilities just as we do with our systems.
- Brainstorm features with product managers and your peers and guide decisions based on data
- Mentor and be mentored by other engineers
- Provide software solutions to complicated challenges we face on a daily basis
- Take initiative - got a great idea that'll make our team's day-to-day better? Let's hear it!
Who are you?
- 5+ years of proven experience in designing and building large-scale production systems.
- Strong NodeJS skills. Familiar with monitoring and alerting systems such as Grafana / Kibana
- Passionate about building a highly available and reliable system with good engineering practices and patterns.
- Experience with a cloud environment (such as AWS)
- Experience with various databases or data stores such as Elasticsearch, Redis, MySQL, etc.
- Experience with docker or other container management platforms
- Bonus: extensive networking/security knowledge
Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
Trust is backed by data – Forter is a recipient of over 10 workplace and innovation awards, including:
- Great Place to Work Certification (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Fortune’s Best Workplaces in NYC (2022)
- #3 on Fast Company’s list of “Most Innovative Finance Companies” (2022)
- Forbes Cloud 100 (2021, 2022)
- SAP Pinnacle Awards “New Partner Application Award” (2023)
- Fintech Breakthrough Awards – Best Fraud Prevention Platform (2023)
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 500 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Since 2013, we've raised $525 million from investors such as Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital and Salesforce Ventures. We're on a mission to bring trust to global digital commerce so that companies like Nordstrom, Priceline, Instacart and ASOS can block fraud, drive revenue and improve customer experience.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.