Engineering Manager, Chargebacks Core
About the role:
Forter is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Chargebacks Core Team. Chargebacks are a consumer protection tool that allows consumers to get their money back for fraudulent purchases by submitting a dispute with their card issuer.
The Chargebacks Core team owns the chargeback management platform which is the backbone for Forter’s fraud and chargeback offerings focused on data acquisition and state management.
Why should you join us?
We have a ton of important work to do, which is why we’re hiring!
As Forter is expanding its chargeback offerings you’ll have the opportunity to lead a team building a high performant, scalable chargeback management system handling millions of requests daily, from various sources and traffic patterns. Some of the challenges you’ll face will be to optimize on the scale, reliability, observability and SLOs while providing highest data integrity.
Your impact will span from supporting the growth of your direct reports to high quality deliverables to impact the company's bottom line.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead a team of 3-4 experienced Backend Engineers
- Initiate and own complex development projects, work with stakeholders to define features, scope, and guide decisions and tradeoffs
- Work with PMs and business stakeholders to define long-term KPIs for your products, and set a vision for the products’ roadmap on a yearly basis.
- Collaborate with staff & principal engineers on cross-team initiatives.
- Inspire and motivate the team members to achieve career-growth goals you set together.
- Own and optimize the team’s quarterly plan based on long-term plans, well-groomed backlogs, and immediate operational needs
- Solve problems with fellow engineers by understanding their needs and coming up with both short-term workarounds and long-term solutions.
What you'll need:
- Managed 3+ engineers for 2+ years
- 5+ years of experience developing and maintaining complex backend systems using a modern programming language, preferably Node.js/Typescript based.
- Experience designing and working with large scale distributed systems
- Experience with various data stores and pipelines such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Kafka, Redis
- Experience with AWS or other public clouds
- Passion and past experience overseeing a product’s entire lifecycle.
- Promote Observability and Monitoring culture
- Have a continuous improvement mindset and can do approach
- A mentorship mindset, and the passion to guide engineers towards achieving their career growth goals
- Excellent presentation skills - can talk and explain at the right level of abstraction to different audiences
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to build relationships at multiple levels to work cross organizationally toward solutions
- Excellent leadership and consensus-building skills
- Professional English proficiency
Examples of projects your team will own:
- Build and maintain a highly scalable, robust and easily configurable pipeline for chargebacks data acquisition while optimizing on data integrity and costs.
- Build first class observability to the system to reduce MTTR
- Build solution to support multiple data centers with no downtime
Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
Trust is backed by data – Forter is a recipient of over 10 workplace and innovation awards, including:
- Great Place to Work Certification (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Fortune’s Best Workplaces in NYC (2022)
- #3 on Fast Company’s list of “Most Innovative Finance Companies” (2022)
- Forbes Cloud 100 (2021, 2022)
- SAP Pinnacle Awards “New Partner Application Award” (2023)
- Fintech Breakthrough Awards – Best Fraud Prevention Platform (2023)
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 500 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Since 2013, we've raised $525 million from investors such as Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital and Salesforce Ventures. We're on a mission to bring trust to global digital commerce so that companies like Nordstrom, Priceline, Instacart and ASOS can block fraud, drive revenue and improve customer experience.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.