Does the idea of being responsible for a cloud-native architecture that must rapidly evolve to meet a growing customer base sound like a challenge you love? Do your proudest moments come from crafting the most robust and dynamic architectural solutions with innovative engineers who are closest to the problems? If so, read on.
At Expel, we help businesses bridge the cybersecurity talent gap by providing transparent managed security. To do this we build technology to make sure our security analysts are solving important problems, and robots are handling the rest. We delight in using technology and solid design to make security accessible (nay, even enjoyable) for our customers.
We're not looking for someone to sit in an ivory tower drawing architecture diagrams and passing them down from above. We want that special architect who loves to lead and inspire other software architects and engineers in solving hard problems together. Your experience in various engineering roles has given you the intuition to ask the right questions and make strong decisions. Your ability to dig into detail but resist the weeds allows you to thoughtfully guide a broad set of technical initiatives. Those diagrams become reality because of your talent for blending technical vision with pragmatism around product and business needs. If this sounds like the kind of challenge you'd like to take on, we’d love to hear from you!
Since this role is primarily responsible for leading projects with a group of software architects, engineers and data scientists, we value interpersonal and leadership traits mixed with technical breadth over technical depth. So, even if you don't fulfill all of the technical skill requirements, please reach out!
What Expel can do for you
- Drop you into the middle of a fast-growing cybersecurity company with some of the most enthusiastic customers and engineers you’ve ever seen
- Give you the chance to create new technologies from the ground up
- Place you at the helm of a core group of engineers who care deeply about quality, innovation, inclusivity, community, and technical excellence
- Give you an opportunity to have a strategic impact on the business through collaboration with Product Management, the CTO, and the VP of Engineering and her team
- Provide public speaking and content creation opportunities to help grow your personal brand
- Continue your technical and leadership journey through education and mentorship
What you can do for Expel
- Improve and maintain the cloud-native architecture of Expel’s Workbench platform
- Collaboratively advise principal engineers on architectural strategy based on your knowledge of the larger context
- Ensure we understand how kicking tech debt down the road impacts our business and show us a path forward
- Partner with the CTO and data science team to rationalize delivery of platform features with innovation in support of the long term technical vision
- Proactively support engagement and innovation from all levels of engineering
- Communicate Expel’s technical architecture to relevant outside parties, such as customers, prospects, investors and partners.
What you should bring with you
- 10-15+ years of professional experience in engineering and architecture roles, including experience mentoring or managing architect or principal level engineers
- Excellent active listening, negotiation, and conflict management skills across communication styles and levels from deeply technical through executive
- Passion for and extensive experience in architecting large scale cloud platforms with cloud-native services in at least one of the top cloud providers - GCP (preferred), AWS, Azure
- Solid design patterns for databases, including deep understanding and advocacy of optimization strategies, scalability, performance, security, caching, etc. (SQL and/or NoSQL, experience with PostGres, BigQuery or Bigtable preferred)
- Expert knowledge of leading practices with logging, monitoring, observability, and application security
- Previous proficiency in multiple languages (compiled and scripting) - e.g. Go, Node, Python, Java
- Strategic mentality on quality and all types of testing across multiple platforms/services.
- Experience in the cybersecurity field preferred
The base salary range for this role is between $187,800 USD and $272,300 USD + bonus eligibility and equity.
We believe in paying transparently and equitably. Your salary will ultimately be based on factors such as your experience, skills, team equity, and market data. You’ll also be eligible for unlimited PTO (which we model and encourage), work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and really excellent health benefits.
We're only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We're an Equal Opportunity Employer: You'll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.