Engineering Manager, Data Store
About the role:
Forter is looking for an Engineering Manager to build and lead the Datastores Platform team.
To reach and maintain our high decision accuracy, we rely heavily on our data, which is dispersed across many different types of data stores, amounts to many PBs in size, and is owned by numerous engineering teams. As our company grows, the need for standardizing data operations across teams and building a platform to support them becomes essential.
The Datastores Platform team’s mission is to boost engineering operations and velocity by providing the technical expertise in this domain, and by building systems and tools that enhance teams’ abilities to use, maintain, and optimize data stores, data workloads orchestration, and other data infrastructure common to multiple teams.
This team is critical to Forter’s mission - It directly drives Forter’s ability to scale its business and lays the critical groundwork to promote engineering velocity and teams’ autonomy.
Why should you join us?
Forter is in a stage in a company’s lifecycle and its maturing process which provides a unique opportunity for the Engineering Manager of this team. As the manager, You’ll have a direct impact on over ~150 engineers who will depend on the team and its products, and provide you with immediate feedback; At the same time, you’ll have control over setting the vision and roadmap for the team’s domain, setting the path forward.
What you'll be doing:
- Build and lead a team to own Forter’s data store infrastructure domain
- Initiate and lead complex development projects, working with Engineering stakeholders to define features and scope, and to guide decisions and tradeoffs
- Create and introduce data infrastructure offerings and tools to support development experience and velocity, as well as optimization for performance and costs
- Collaborate with and build a great customer experience for engineers using your infrastructure
- Define Forter’s data stores platform and its products, setting its vision and roadmap ahead
- Provide expertise and consultancy to other Engineering teams
- Mentor and guide engineers on the team, supporting their growth
What you'll need:
- Managed 3 or more engineers for 2+ years
- 5+ years of experience as a data or backend-oriented software engineer.
- Significant experience with relational DBs and NoSql DBs (e.g. MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Couchbase, etc.) at large scales
- Passion for building infrastructure for fellow engineers and improving their development experience
- Experience in working with public clouds (AWS / GCP / Azure)
- Strong Python, Java, or Kotlin experience
- Great project management skills, with a strong ability to drive them against friction
- Excellent presentation skills - can talk and explain at the right level of abstraction to different audiences
- Advantage: hands-on experience with Kubernetes, Ansible, or Chef
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Examples of projects your team will own:
- Bring new data store offerings into Forter, such as real-time analytical databases
- Work with the relevant stakeholders to improve their data architecture to optimize for latency, scale, and costs
- Build and bring tools to support deployment, maintenance, and optimization of the various types of data stores in Forter
- Introduce data pipeline orchestration frameworks (e.g. Airflow)
- Support new datastore requirements and PoCs
Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
Trust is backed by data – Forter is a recipient of over 10 workplace and innovation awards, including:
- Great Place to Work Certification (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Fortune’s Best Workplaces in NYC (2022)
- #3 on Fast Company’s list of “Most Innovative Finance Companies” (2022)
- Forbes Cloud 100 (2021, 2022)
- SAP Pinnacle Awards “New Partner Application Award” (2023)
- Fintech Breakthrough Awards – Best Fraud Prevention Platform (2023)
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 500 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Since 2013, we've raised $525 million from investors such as Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital and Salesforce Ventures. We're on a mission to bring trust to global digital commerce so that companies like Nordstrom, Priceline, Instacart and ASOS can block fraud, drive revenue and improve customer experience.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.