FP&A Manager, R&D
About the role:
Forter is looking for an experienced and strategic-minded FP&A Manager to join its Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) team.
The Manager will report directly to the VP of FP&A and act as the primary financial business partner and trusted advisor to the CTO, SVP of Engineering, and R&D leadership.
The FP&A R&D Manager will lead the development of financial planning and analysis to support strategic decision-making within the R&D organization.
What you'll be doing:
- Serve as the primary financial business partner and trusted advisor to the CTO and R&D leadership team
- Lead the development, analysis, and reporting of the R&D departments’ annual budget and quarterly forecasts
- Support investment decision making, including contributing to the development of business cases and developing returns analyses
- Providing insights and actionable recommendations to optimize resource allocation and enhance cost efficiencies
- Maintain continuous working knowledge of the budget, with the ability to link between the budget and key R&D goals and strategic initiatives
- Consistently and clearly communicate results, key drivers, risk and opportunities to the R&D leadership team and FP&A organization
- Assist the R&D leadership team with headcount planning; maintain detailed tracking of headcount to ensure hiring plans are approved and funded
- Support vendor-level forecasting and analysis to assist in renewal strategies
- Collaborate with FP&A team and R&D leaders to define key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure R&D success; collaborate with BI team on automating the tracking of performance against established metrics
- Analyze monthly Budget vs. Actuals performance to assist in the monthly close process
- Collaborate with R&D stakeholders and the accounting team to advise on key accruals and accounting policies related to R&D such as capitalization rates
- Proactively identify and recommend opportunities for improvements in financial and operational processes
- As needed, provide support to other finance teams such as Corporate Development, Investor Relations, Accounting, Treasury and Procurement
What you'll need:
- 4+ years of professional experience, ideally with prior experiences in FP&A as well as strategic consulting, investment banking, equity research, or related field
- Experience building cross-functional relationships and partnering with senior leadership of organizations
- Ability to summarize complex, technical details into a clear and coherent message
- Expert understanding of accounting principles and financial statements
- Ability to think critically about a business and understand the key value drivers
- Experience working with and analyzing large data sets to inform decision making
- Master in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in Netsuite, Qliksense and FP&A planning tools a plus, but not required
- Proactive and self-driven, with a strong sense of ownership
- Strong attention to detail and dedication to quality of analyses and deliverables
- Collaborative, positive attitude and eagerness to learn
Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
Trust is backed by data – Forter is a recipient of over 10 workplace and innovation awards, including:
- Great Place to Work Certification (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Fortune’s Best Workplaces in NYC (2022)
- #3 on Fast Company’s list of “Most Innovative Finance Companies” (2022)
- Forbes Cloud 100 (2021, 2022)
- SAP Pinnacle Awards “New Partner Application Award” (2023)
- Fintech Breakthrough Awards – Best Fraud Prevention Platform (2023)
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 500 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Since 2013, we've raised $525 million from investors such as Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital and Salesforce Ventures. We're on a mission to bring trust to global digital commerce so that companies like Nordstrom, Priceline, Instacart and ASOS can block fraud, drive revenue and improve customer experience.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.