Senior Data Engineer, Identity
About the role:
The Identity Group stands at the core of Forter’s competitive edge in the market. The group is in charge of creating the engine that identifies clients and builds Forter’s knowledge of them. Due to its criticality, Forter’s identity engine is a focal point from both a business and a technical perspective. That centrality means that we are always looking for new ways to make the engine faster, easier to modify, with higher throughput, and better accuracy.
We're seeking a talented Senior Engineer to join the team that’s responsible for the event ingress pipelines in our detection domain. As a key player in our team, you'll not only take charge of major development efforts but also play an integral role in mapping out the strategic roadmap for the domain's future innovations. Join us in maintaining and enhancing our mission-critical systems, contributing to a group that thrives on engineering-led initiatives. Unlike conventional setups, our environment uniquely empowers engineers to drive impactful enhancements, focusing on lowering latency, boosting throughput, refining precision, and optimizing costs. This is your opportunity to immerse yourself in an ecosystem that values your engineering prowess, granting you autonomy and accountability to foster true mastery. If you're seeking a role where innovation meets responsibility, we invite you to be a part of our dynamic team.
What you'll be doing:
- Design, Build, and Maintain Near-real-time Event Ingress Pipelines: Take the lead in architecting, developing, and ensuring the ongoing operation of sophisticated event ingress pipelines that handle vast amounts of data in near-real time
- Partake in Setting Technical Strategy: Contribute your expertise to shaping the technical strategy for the detection domain, participating in discussions that set the course for our technology's future.
- Lead Development Efforts: Drive major development initiatives, from concept to deployment, ensuring the successful execution of projects that enhance the speed, accuracy, and efficiency of our systems.
- Identify Pains and Promote Solutions: Analyze the systems to identify pain points and inefficiencies. Develop and implement effective solutions that streamline processes, enhance productivity, and elevate the overall performance of the event ingress pipelines.
What you'll need:
- 6+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Extensive background in backend engineering, with a focus on JVM
- Experience working with and maintaining distributed production databases
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluent in spoken and written English
It'd be cool if you also: [not a must]
- Work experience in teams that maintain an engine rather than a product
- Experience with event streaming frameworks
- Strong Python skills
Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
Trust is backed by data – Forter is a recipient of over 10 workplace and innovation awards, including:
- Great Place to Work Certification (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Fortune’s Best Workplaces in NYC (2022)
- #3 on Fast Company’s list of “Most Innovative Finance Companies” (2022)
- Forbes Cloud 100 (2021, 2022)
- SAP Pinnacle Awards “New Partner Application Award” (2023)
- Fintech Breakthrough Awards – Best Fraud Prevention Platform (2023)
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 500 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Since 2013, we've raised $525 million from investors such as Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital and Salesforce Ventures. We're on a mission to bring trust to global digital commerce so that companies like Nordstrom, Priceline, Instacart and ASOS can block fraud, drive revenue and improve customer experience.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.