Electrical Engineer, Sustaining
Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
As an Electrical Engineer, you will be a key member of the hardware team. Both a technologist and a leader, the successful candidate will develop and execute test strategies in order to debug hardware, solve complex hardware problems and propose solutions.
The ideal candidate will be a leader by example, promoting positive company culture and fostering transparency throughout the organization. This person approaches problems with insight and creativity in equal measure, never accepting solutions that compromise values or quality as an option. They treat everyone as a peer and understand that listening is as imperative to effective communication as speaking.
An Electrical Engineer will have a knack for prioritization, be driven by data and quantifiable metrics, and will emphasize engineering excellence within the team. As an engineer at Motive, you will have an amazing opportunity to shape the way we develop test strategies and improve our products. We are looking for candidates with a solid hardware background and hands-on experience in testing complex systems to join our team. This role is ideal for an engineer who is a strong, independent worker ready to take on new challenges, and eager to work with cutting edge technology.
The person in this role will be required to be in office 3-4 days per week out of our Buffalo, NY office location.
What You’ll Do:
- Review electrical architectures, schematics and layout
- Work with the support and broader engineering teams to root cause field failures and propose solutions
- Design prototype and test assemblies
- Define and take ownership of electrical test plans and strategies
- Work with other engineers to execute and refine test plans with a data driven approach
- Write clear and organized test reports
- Design, operate, and maintain lab space, and derive technical specifications based on product level requirements
- Validate designs through functional verification, signal characterization, power modeling/test, and system coexistence testing
- Strive for engineering excellence within the team
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Passionate about hands on experience
- 4+ years of experience as a hardware engineer, ODM, JDM experience is preferred but not required
- Demonstrated domain knowledge in electronics development
- Experience testing technologies such as WIFI, BT, GPS, etc.
- Experience with board bring up, power supply and signal integrity testing as well as debug and root cause analysis
- Experience with digital circuit design and various communications interfaces such as I2C, UART, SPI, USB, MIPI, I2S, DDR, eMMC, NAND flash etc.
- Experience with cameras, batteries, and other sensors is a plus
- Experience or knowledge with ESD and EMI is a plus
- Must be able to work in office 3-4 days per week out of our Buffalo, NY office
Your compensation may be based on several factors, including education, work experience, and certifications. For certain roles, total compensation may include restricted stock units. Motive offers benefits including health, pharmacy, optical and dental care benefits, paid time off, sick time off, short term and long term disability coverage, life insurance as well as 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). Learn more about our benefits by visiting Motive Perks & Benefits.
The compensation range for this position will depend on where you reside. For this role, the on-target earnings (base pay + commissions) are:
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.