Technical Support Engineer, Developer Support
Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
As a Technical Support Engineer, you will be diagnosing and troubleshooting customers’ technical concerns related to our Public API. This role will be highly cross-functional and you will work closely with Engineering, Professional Services, and Products to derive a solution for our customers. This is a unique opportunity to get operationally hands-on at a fast-growing company.
What You’ll Do:
- Determine root cause of errors/bugs -- use the data and tools we have to trace the origin of data inconsistencies and bugs and report them to Engineering.
- Perform data analysis to determine the impact/prevalence of issues -- use analytics tools like DataDog & Redash.
- The Subject Matter expert will be responsible for attending Developer meeting sessions to assist developers with API-related concerns.
- The Support Engineer will also be responsible for assisting and providing guidance to other employees within Support and across the company.
- Communicate with customers via phone on their urgent inquiries and issues that need urgent attention.
- Taking end-to-end ownership of customer issues, including initial troubleshooting, identification of root causes, and issue resolution.
- Provide Email and Chat Support to customers needing help with their API Integrations.
- Follow standard procedures for proper escalation of unresolved issues to the appropriate internal teams.
- The TSE must ensure proper recording and closure of all issues.
What We’re Looking For:
- Minimum working experience of 3+ years working as technical support, IT support, or as a technical engineer.
- Must be working in a customer-facing role in a SaaS-based company.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as soft skills.
- The candidate must hold a Computer Science degree or equivalent work experience in a Developer role in the past.
- The candidate must have an understanding of RestFul APIs, SQL, OAuth 2.0, and intermediate-level expertise in any programming language (Python, C++, C#, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience with Researching, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and identifying solutions to resolve system issues.
- The candidate must be a Team player and can work in a professional environment.
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.