Software Engineering Manager - Frontend
Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
As the Engineering Manager for Frontend Engineering at Motive, you will lead a dynamic team of highly skilled developers to strategize and execute frontend projects for our customer-facing web applications. Collaborating closely with the product team, you'll play a pivotal role in defining and achieving product feature Objectives and Key Results (OKRs). Your expertise in project planning, management, and leadership will significantly impact the team's success, influencing Motive's overall engineering culture and reputation.
What You’ll Do:
- Leadership: Manage a team of 5-10 individual contributors, fostering a collaborative and high-performance environment.
- Strategic Planning: Collaborate with Product, Backend, and Design teams to define product OKRs. Drive project planning, sequencing, development resourcing, and execution.
- Team Growth: Own the hiring plan to meet growth OKRs, ensuring the team's skill set aligns with Motive's evolving needs.
- Agile Execution: Conduct weekly scrums, daily standups, and employ Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban) to oversee team progress.
- Code Quality: Enforce strict development quality guidelines to maintain a clean, modular, and efficient codebase. Ensure code is easily maintainable and extensible.
- Mentorship: Mentor engineers, assisting them in planning and executing their career paths.
- Code Review Pipeline: Maintain a healthy code review pipeline, ensuring timely processing of open pull requests.
- Tech Debt Management: Efficiently manage technical debt, particularly related to reliability and performance for scalability. Direct the team's focus on solving customer pain points.
- Technology Trends: Stay current with the latest trends and software versions, keeping the tech stack up to date.
- Performance Reviews: Oversee employee performance review cycles.
What We’re Looking For:
- Experience: Solid engineering background with at least 5+ years of software development, including 3+ years in frontend development.
- Management Experience: 3+ years managing a team of 5-10 individual contributors.
- Technical Proficiency: In-depth development experience in a lead role using recent web development frameworks such as Angular, React, or Vue.
- Project Management: Delivered 2-3 large-scale software projects as a project or engineering manager.
- Agile Expertise: Well-versed and experienced in running projects using Agile methodologies, including Scrum and Kanban frameworks.
- Collaboration Skills: Experience working with cross-functional teams, including Product, Design, Backend and QA.
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.